MPAs, COVID-19, and the coming financial crisis: What impacts are practitioners already seeing, and how are they responding?
With first-hand reports from ten MPA practitioners worldwide:
- We must be laser-focused on actions to keep our institutions and work afloat, by Nirmal Jivan Shah
- Adapting on the fly to staffing and program challenges, by Emma Doyle
- MPA monitoring organization loses its volunteers and financial base, by Alan Kavanagh
- Long-term financial management of Dutch Caribbean MPAs will need to change, by Kalli De Meyer
- This is an opportunity for governments to help fishermen support MPAs, by Javier Corcuera Quiroga
- Success of MPAs depends on support from stakeholders, whose priorities may be changing, by Özkan Anil
- MPA that relies on yacht tourism revenue is optimistic for a rebound, by Joseph Ierna, Jr.
- Conducting fish surveys during this quiet time to understand the impact of people on MPAs, by Ruthy Yahel and Simon Nemtzov
- Partnering with law enforcement for increased patrols, by Claire Arre
- This challenge is likely to be harder than any before, by Sibylle Riedmiller